Multi-region data availability solved
Polycloud data resiliency and financial services regulation compliance
A large financial institution wanted to exploit the power and flexibility of the cloud and looking for a way to meet regulatory demands for data protection and resilience across multiple cloud locations.
- The customer wanted to migrate to the cloud with no downtime to applications or disruption to the business.
- To satisfy regulators, the customer needed to enable multi-regional and multi-cloud replication to ensure strict disaster recovery (DR) SLAs could be met in the event of a disaster, and for backup retrieval in the event of data corruption.
- The customer also looked to enable future data agility to ensure it could capitalize on innovation from other cloud providers without vendor lock-in.
- The destination for the data is the Azure Data Lake Storage (ADLS) located in the US East 2 region.
- The customer is keen to focus all its data usage within the ADLS environment, which means always-on data access is critical.
- This institution required alternative solutions to provide greater resiliency to meet regulatory requirements, and this financial services institution required alternative solutions to provide greater resiliency to meet regulatory requirements.
- Data being migrated comes from multiple sources, the majority from on-premises infrastructure, combined with data already located in Azure.
- Data migration from on-premises systems and existing Azure-based data to ADLS in the US East 2 region.
- Data replication from the US East 2 region to the US Central region, satisfying the bank’s disaster recovery requirements.
- Weekly replication of data to a second ADLS located in the US East 2 region to provide point-in-time copies.
ENVIRONMENT, TECHNOLOGY, AND TOOLS
- Microsoft APS (On-premises data warehouse)
- Azure SQL Data Warehouse (Platform as a Service)
- Manual user uploads via API or Web UI (Future use)
BENEFITS & OUTCOMES
- Data is persisted in a consistent, reconciled fashion across multiple cloud locations.
- ADLS to ADLS replication for both cross-region and local-region requirements.
- Multiple sources of data ingested into ADLS can be replicated immediately.
- Permissions of files and directories are replicated as they were on Source.
- LiveData Platform has the ability to replicate to multiple types of storage, and the customer may leverage this to replicate to AWS and other cloud vendors in the future.
Industry Use Cases