A large national energy firm with over one million smart meters installed in homes across the country found data consistency problems could take up to 2 days to resolve whilst requirements to continuously ingest smart meter sensor data took hours and severely degraded performance on the production cluster. With a government mandate to grow the deployment to handle data from over five million smart meters by 2018, they needed a solution to enable them to carry on with this impressive transformation.
The firm turned to WANdisco LiveData Platform active data replication technology™ to ensure large volumes of data are consistently available, maintain performance as the deployment grows, and simplify the ingest and transfer of internal, consumer, and public data streams.
- Smart meter data and its traditional data sources are used to improve its engineering operations and sell data related products to its partners.
- Awareness of individual energy use compared to baseline patterns has led to more targeted marketing with a higher conversion rate.
- Heightened customer awareness of energy use has enabled many customers to make annual savings of $100 or more on their energy bill.
- As the firm notifies customers of how to save energy and how they compare to energy-efficient neighbours, it has driven a 6% drop in consumption and saved 1.5 Terawatt hours of energy.
- With a reliable and scalable platform in place, the firm is now pushing ahead to reap more benefits including putting a data science team in place to help the rest of the business exploit the data as well as adding “smart home” products to increase its data footprint with the consumer.